3.27.2012

Nicole Planas - Miami Make-up Artist

Get to know Nicole!  

1. Why do you love doing wedding make-up? I love being a part of one of the most important days in someone's life. There's so much joy in weddings and I appreciate being able to contribute to the day. Every wedding I do leaves me feeling so lucky and blessed that this is what I do for a living-every bride is beautiful; I just help them shine.
2. Funniest client/incident? There was the time I had to do a trial in the upstairs room of Garcia's fish house on the river, but as far was funniest client-The bride's hairstylist ran very late with her hair. Everyone was ready and waiting. She literally had 15 minutes to get dressed and do makeup. I had to airbrush her while she was getting out of her clothes, apply her eyeshadow & lashes while her mother was lacing her corset, cover her dress with a bedsheet while I finished her blush and lipstick-all while 7 women were running around her getting the dress buttoned, adjusting the headpiece, making sure the train was ready to go and putting on her shoes.  Not to mention the part where we had to work around her needing to go to the bathroom and she was trying to eat her happy meal so she would have food in her system. All in all, she was ready to go in 15 minutes flat-from hotel foyer to first step out the hotel room. It was the one wedding were it literally took a village to get the bride down the aisle.
3. Biggest challenge? I arrived with 45 minutes scheduled per person to a 9 person wedding. 45 minutes is about 20 minutes longer than it takes me to do someones makeup but, I like leaving ample time just in case. I set up my chair, my assistant set up my make up table and nothing-we waited for an hour and half before a bridesmaid was tracked down and sat in the chair. We waited another 15 minutes in between almost every person. The closer we got to the ceremony time, the crazier it got. We were getting the last bridesmaid ready while the bride was walking upstairs for pictures. The biggest challenge there was making sure that the stress never reached the bride. She had no idea that none of her bridesmaids showed up when scheduled, she never found out about the two bridesmaids who were getting their makeup done in between other bridal party members.I made sure that everyone looked beautiful and that the bride didn't have a stressful moment about my part in the wedding prep.

I will bring in extra artists, assistants, whatever I need to do to make sure that everyone is ready to go on time. I know that everyone says "The wedding will not start without the bride.." but do you really want to test that out.

 
4. Tips & tricks? Most make up tricks in the wedding magazines are for weddings that are in places where it doesn't rain like the flood is coming, where it isn't 90 degrees in spring and where the humidity levels are almost as high as the oxygen levels in the air. Miami is a different world. For example, powder to set your makeup and remove shine works beautifully; powder over a face that's been sweating because Miami is like living in the rain forest? Disaster. When you start glowing, and not in the good way, oil blotting papers are amazing, you can get them in most drugstores. Cream Foundations are another victim of Miami weather. Most cream foundations will only settle in every line or crease and will literally slide or melt off. A gel or gel liquid hybrid is the best for staying power & coverage, Mac Studio Sculpt is a gel and works like a champ...plus it has SPF.

Also, my "in case of emergency"  make up kit only has concealer or foundation, blush and clear gloss. The gloss will tame your eyebrows and you can use the blush on your eyelids if you need a little color. Also, if you put a little (a little!!) gloss on the tips of your lashes, it looks like you have full lush lashes with no mascara.   
5. Tell us a bit about you. I love make up, I always have. I joke that I became a make up artist to justify feeding my obsession but it's true, I am a little obsessed. I'm in all the magazines and at all the trade shows. I started doing make up on my friends at 19, and then I worked corporate before realizing that my passion wasn't about the company I was marketing, it was about the lipstick my boss was wearing and how it should really be a different shade of berry. I love what I do 100% of the time and I'm lucky to be able to have turned my passion into my career.
 
To contact Nicole and see more beautiful pictures visit her site: www.makeupbynp.com

1 comment:

  1. I heart Nicole. She was my make up artist for my wedding. She has such a great personality and makes you feel totally at ease.

    ReplyDelete